In a fantastically exciting, and unexpected World Cup to date, the United States 2014 team have stood “toe-to-toe with some big teams” as U.S. goalie Tim Howard put it, to advance to the knockout round of the World Cup to play Belgium today, July 1st at 1PM PST. For the rapidly growing U.S. fan club (19 million viewers tuned in last week to watch U.S. vs. Germany) in Seattle, we’re throwing out a handful of suggestions on where to catch the game as office work grinds to a screeching halt for the next two nail-biting hours.
- Kells Irish Pub in Post Alley.
- Fado Irish Pub at 801 1st Ave S (That is, if you can elbow your way through the crowds in either of these two tried and tested stomping grounds for the sports-crazed that have likely been posted up for hours at this point.)
- Madison Park’s Attic Alehouse – Post-match victory swim in the lake at Madison Park beach, anyone? They have also rigged a TV on their patio so you can catch some of these mid-summer rays while you cheer on our boys.
- Phinney Neighborhood Association’s Phinney Center has rigged a 14-by-8 movie screen for this momentous occasion. Rumor has it there will be food trucks.
- Cafe Presse – Not feeling like pub grub? Venture to Captiol Hill’s French bar and café, Café Presse that was included in the Flipkey.com / Trip Advisor list or “10 Best Sports Bars in the U.S. to watch the World Cup” for your fix of FIFA and steak-frites.